#MandalasForMarinke

#MandalasForMarinke

I'm so saddened over the loss of a very talented and inspirational person in the crochet community. Wink, (Marinke Slump) of a creative being, who has inspired and touched so many people, has lost her fight with depression. She will be missed. (You can read what her sister wrote on her blog here.)

I first "met" wink after she gave me a blog award in the early days of my blog. I can't put into words how important she was in my development as a blogger and a maker. She was one of the first people to encourage me to open an Etsy store, and in a more recent email conversation I had with her she had offered any help she could give me in that endeavor. A large part of why I'm so close to finally opening one with confidence is due to her kind words.

Last night I made the above mandala from her I Love Holland pattern as a contribution to the #MandalasForMarinke crochet project (which you can read about on the Crochet Concupiscence website.) Wink spoke about the therapeutic value of crochet and of the mandala, all of which I thought about as I crocheted this piece up. It truly was therapeutic as I attempted to process my strong reaction to the sad news about someone who I've never met in person, but nonetheless impacted my life.

My heart goes out to her family and friends, and to everyone else who wink has inspired through her beautiful work.

Comments

  1. What a lovely mandala in memory of Marinke. I too was very saddened to have read of her death. I have made several of her mandalas in the past. I will follow the links you give above.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A horrible tragedy. Wink was so inspirational to so many people; she will be missed. You made a beautiful, wonderful mandala in tribute, so bright and cheery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate, this is a lovely tribute. I am so sad and shocked too, so sad xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing the #MandalasForMarinke post. Your post here is special. I'm glad you shared it. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathryn, she was a special person.
      Kate :}

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I love comments and will reply as soon as possible by email, or if you are a no-reply blogger, right under your comment in the post! Happy crafting! (If your comment doesn't show up on the site right away, don't panic! I have to moderate comments, so it may take some time for me to acknowledge that your comment isn't spam!)

Popular Posts